Women’s running group runtheworldMCR celebrates its first anniversary this week.
And for those ladies feeling inspired by people’s amazing efforts at the Manchester Half last weekend, here’s a chance to get involved.
The club was set up last year on World Mental Health Day, as a way for people to get stuck into some exercise to boost their mental wellbeing.
Founded by friends Becky Walker and Lydia Norman, the group hosts a free 5k run every Tuesday at 18:30, starting at Dukes Drive, Monton.
It has seen more than 200 different women attend at least one run since it launched on 12th October 2021, with an average weekly turnout of 35 women.
The group are aiming to make the runs as inclusive as possible, inviting those from all ages and fitness levels.
They recently launched new walktheworldMCR routes for beginners and people who are unable to run, as well as longer routes for those looking to increase their speed or distance.
To mark their first anniversary, runtheworldMCR hosted a party at Oats & Honey, Monton, featuring an awards ceremony with prizes for the most improved runners and goody bags for members.
Speaking to I LOVE MCR, co-founder Lydia said: “Founded on friendship, runtheworldMCR is far more than just a running group, it’s about getting women together to build their confidence, support their mental health and make them feel safe.
“We’re always being told we have created something really special and we’re so proud of that.”
Members range from women in their early 20s who are complete beginners to those aged 50+, as well as new mums who bring their buggies to the runs, to ultra marathon runners.
Some women attend every week while others drop in on a monthly basis.
Co-founder Becky says: “Our biggest highlight from our first year has been meeting hundreds of amazing women who have joined us to run and walk.
“We couldn’t have asked for a better group of friendly, supportive girls who make new members feel welcome every week.
“We’ve also become an ambassador for fitness brand lululemon, as well completing Leadership in Running Fitness qualifications, sponsored by the charity, Sport in Mind.
“It’s opened up opportunities that we could have only dreamed of, and this is just the start! We have big ambitions for runtheworldMCR, we never imagined it would have been so popular, we are often asked if we’ll do other evenings, different times or launch in another location.
“We do a lot of work behind the scenes, so watch this space!”
Anyone wishing to join the group can message Becky and Lydia on Instagram @runtheworldMCR, and new members are welcome to attend the next run on Tuesday evenings, meeting at Dukes Drive, Monton, at 18:20 ahead of a 18:30 start.
To mark the first anniversary, RuntheworldMCR invited runners to share feedback and nominate their fellow members for awards.
Anonymous feedback included the following comments:
- “I’ve gained a whole new running family of amazing supportive women. That’s priceless.”
- “RuntheworldMCR is incredible.”
- “It’s been an absolute joy to be a member and meet so many incredible women who love running and I’ve genuinely made friends from the group and I never would have met them without RuntheworldMCR!
- “Sessions are always well thought out and cater to different abilities and never patronising or leave anyone out.”
- “I find the group really motivating, it’s such a great group of girls who are very supportive. I love the different routes and new challenges as well as the social events. Overall I’ve gained a real love and passion for running.”
- “I am sooo incredibly pleased I found you guys! You have been the highlight and sunshine of my week from the very first run last year! You also have inspired me to push myself out of my comfort zone, I would never have done the Great North Run without the support of this group! I absolutely love the community you have created and look forward to a lovely future ahead with you all.”
- “I’ve enjoyed having a group to hold me accountable and get my butt out on the road! I love how social the group is when we run and the socials after running, and the book club seems amazing too! There’s nothing I haven’t enjoyed, I’m looking forward to running in the winter instead of stopping because I’m scared to run in the dark! Thank you.”
Why not dust off those running shoes?