It’s pretty rare that a day doesn’t start with some bad news story. So we’re delighted to announce that we have a good news story that makes the world a slightly better place. In fact, it’s so good you might need to grab a cuppa sit down.
Manchester, home of the first free public library, the first totally artificial waterway independent of natural rivers, and the world’s first true railway, has scored yet another first.
The world’s first drive-thru Greggs has opened in Irlam. If that doesn’t prove that our city is one of the best in the world, we don’t know what will.
Here’s 10 reasons you should check the new drive-thru out today.
1. You can pick up a sausage roll (or a cheese pasty) without ever leaving the car. So when it’s lashing it down outside, roll down the window, make that order, get that pie and tuck in. Job done.
2. It’s restoring people’s faith in humanity. And Britain. And humanity.
— ED 209 (@martinwoods) May 20, 2017
They’ve opened a Greggs drive through in Salford. Don’t tell me we’re not living in a brave new world where anything is possible.
— Prufrocking (@Prufrocking) June 8, 2017
3. It’ll make you forget about just how messed up our politics is at the moment. You’ll grab a reasonably priced sausage roll and think to yourself:
Whatever happens in this election, at least today marks Greggs opening their first drive thru, a bright future is ahead
— sophie (@sophxthompson) June 8, 2017
4. It’ll most probably complete your life. England might not win or or even host the World Cup, but there’s a Greggs drive thru-in our home city. Never thought we’d write that.
Drive Thru Greggs….honestly my life is soon to be complete apart from England hosting and winning the world cup.
— PJG (@ZapCity911) June 8, 2017
5. They open at 6am Monday to Friday so you can get that salted caramel doughnut in before the traffic jam starts.
6. You won’t be able to stop smiling. There’s nothing like a piping hot steak bake to put a smile on your face. Just look at the people who work there.
7. If Greggs drive-thru doesn’t make for a killer hangover cure, we don’t know what does.
Greggs is defo the best hangover cure EVER I feel like a new woman I'll take 12 steak bakes thanks
— amy (@amynicolemills_) November 16, 2015
8. According to Greggs’ boss Roger Whiteside, they’re going to be in all the places we need them. “When it comes to food on-the-go, our customers tell us that convenience is key. We’ve been working hard to take Greggs to where our customers need and want us to be including office parks, industrial estates, retail parks and travel hubs.” Nice.
9. They might, just might, be starting up Greggs delivery in the future. We’ve been in contact with the folks at head office but they’re a flaky bunch and haven’t yet got back to us. We’ll have them on speed dial if they ever do start dishing out those deliveries though. One sausage roll. Two sausage roll. Three…
10. You’ll just be, generally, very very happy. Sort of like these guys…
Grab your keys, mate. We’re going on a road trip.
For more info, click here