McDonald’s has announced that more than 1,000 of its restaurants will have reopened, either for Drive Thru or McDelivery by 4th June.
This means every Drive Thru in the UK and Ireland will reopen between Tuesday and Thursday next week – and that includes 17 in Greater Manchester. To manage the anticipated demand, the locations of the reopening restaurants will be released on the morning of each day.
McDonald’s is also starting to extend the availability of McDelivery.
A spokesman for McDonald’s said: “Over the last fortnight, our employees, franchisees and suppliers have worked tirelessly to implement new procedures to enable safe working so that we can now help all parts of the UK and Ireland to enjoy the return of the Big Mac.
Restaurants will return with smaller teams, a limited menu and a number of safety measures in place including:
- Capped spend in Drive Thrus at £25 per car
- Customers encouraged to pay by contactless payment methods wherever possible
- Perspex screens at Drive Thru windows and employees wearing protective equipment and perspex screens and floor markings in specific areas in the restaurant and kitchen.
- All McDonald’s employees will be asked to confirm they are fit and able to work, and the company will use contactless thermometers with temperatures taken on arrival at work for every shift.
- Social distancing in the kitchens and service areas to help create a safe working environment for restaurant teams.
A McDonald’s spokesman said: “We are continuing to review these measures as we reopen, but for now these restrictions remain in place to help our employees, customers and delivery partner couriers to remain safe.
“With fewer employees working in our kitchens and service areas, our teams will still need your patience and support as they continue to adjust to the new ways of working. Face coverings, gloves, perspex screens and new safety and hygiene processes mean it will look different, it will take a little longer and as we have seen in the pilot restaurants, we expect demand will be high. Please bear with us, we will continue to put our people first – their safety is our priority”.
Watch the health and safety video which outlines the measures McDonald’s have implemented: