As the people of Greater Manchester prepare to sing along from their doorsteps and windows for Together In One Voice, a celebration of the importance of community and mental well-being during these unprecedented times, a host of Greater Manchester names have added their support to the mass doorstep singalong which will take place tonight (Thursday 28th May), ahead of what could be the final Clap for Carers.
Coronation Street actors Jennie McAlpine, Simon Gregson and Julia Goulding, DJ and musician Clint Boon, Rowetta and Shaun Ryder from the Happy Mondays, Mani from the Stone Roses, Blossoms and The Lottery Winners and artists including Jenna G, Slay, Evabee and Oneda, and Manchester City footballer Phil Foden will appear on screen from 7.15pm to deliver a series of messages of support ahead of the singalong.
They join Liam Gallagher, Mark Owen of Take That, James’ Tim Booth, Emeli Sande, Mike Pickering from M People, Tom Walker, Denise Johnson, Liam Fray from The Courteeners and Aitch, who have already announced they will all be appearing on screen tonight.
They will be introducing live renditions of their music by the public, accompanied by a specially-arranged soundtrack featuring performances by virtual choirs and musicians from across Greater Manchester.
The soundtrack will be streamed on the night for people to join in with from their doorsteps via MIF LIVE, Manchester International Festival’s on-line channel, and will also be broadcast live on BBC Radio Manchester.
Around 20 different community choirs and 30 musicians from across the area have spent the last few weeks recording themselves playing their instruments and singing their parts in isolation in their own homes.
Each of these individual vocal and musical parts has then been sent in to musical director Dan McDwyer and his team of sound engineers, for mixing into the live versions of the songs that everyone will sing along to during the event.
Amongst the choirs taking part are: The Northern Session Choir, Bee Vocal – The Manchester Mental Health Choir, Manchester Contemporary Youth Choir, Chorus of Others, Northenden Community Choir, Manchester Inspirational Voices, Manchester Lesbian and Gay Chorus, Sunday Boys, Manchester High School for Girls Choir, Urban Stage School of Performing Arts, Levenshulme High School, Stagecoach Performing Arts School, and Leigh community choir.
The doorstep singalong will be captured by drones, street cameras and footage from residents, for an extended broadcast featuring interviews with artists and participants which will be broadcast on Sunday 31st May, 6pm exclusively on MIF Live.
“It’s at times like these we’re going through at the moment that make you realise how much we all really need to reach out to each other to help us get through,” said Clint Boon. “Music is one of the best tonics I know for helping do this, and I’m really proud to be part of tonight’s event. I’m going to be standing on my doorstep later with all my family, belting the tunes out, and I hope everyone else does too.”
The event is being delivered by social entrepreneur Rose Marley and Manchester International Festival, alongside Manchester City Council and Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA), and is supported by Co-op.
Together in One Voice
Full set list and timings
- 7:15 pm – Opening messages including Shaun Ryder, Mani, Rowetta, The Blossoms, The Lottery Winners, Coronation Street cast
- Welcome to the event from Sir Richard Leese and Mayor Andy Burnham
- 7:30 pm – Shine by Take That – introduced by Mark Owens (Take That)
- 7:35 pm – Dancing in the Streets by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas – message from Denise Johnson. Song introduced by Aitch
- 7.40 pm – You Are Not Alone by Emeli Sande – message from Lauren Layfield. Song introduced by Emeli Sande
- 7:45 pm – Leave a Light On by Tom Walker – message from CheryLee Houston & Melissa Johns (Coronation Street). Song introduced by Tom Walker
- 7:50 pm – Sit Down by James, Message from Liam Fray/ The Courteeners. Song Introduced by Tim Booth (James)
- 7.55 pm – Search for the Hero by M People – song introduced by Mike Pickering (M People)
- 8:00 pm – CLAPPING Annabel Tiffin & Roger Johnson BBC
- 8:02 pm – Wonderwall by Oasis – song introduced by Liam Gallagher
- 8:05 pm – END