Our Story, which begins in Victorian Manchester, is a tale of inspiration, determination, love and community.
The Monastery, designed by E.W. Pugin and built back in 1872 for the Franciscan Order, operated as a consecrated place of worship until 1989, when the building and grounds were sold to property developers for a project that was later abandoned. The Monastery was subsequently stripped, vandalised and left tragically derelict.
The Grade II* listed building was brought from the brink of destruction in 1996 by a community of volunteers led by Elaine and Paul Griffiths, who bought the ruinous shell for just £1, before proceeding to raise the funds urgently needed to restore this renowned architectural masterpiece.