Thinking of new meals to prepare every day isn’t always easy, and even the most enthusiastic home cook can find themselves stuck in a bit of a rut. But Manchester chefs are here to help. They’ve been sharing their delicious recipes with us, from Simon Wood’s meat and potato pie to Maurizio Cecco’s deep-fried pizza.
And now, top Manchester chef Adam Reid has kindly shared a recipe which is destined to become a new favourite. The Chef-Patron of The French restaurant, Adam has been awarded 4 AA rosettes as well as winning the BBC’s prestigious Great British Menu competition.
This mouthwatering recipe exclusively for I Love MCR is Adam’s take on crispy chilli beef, but it’s completely vegetarian – and easy to follow, too.
- 6 x medium sized carrots
- 1 x egg white
- 4 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 150 ml olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 x red onion
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped root ginger
- 1 tsp chopped chilli (optional)
- 100g sweet chilli sauce
- 25g hoisin sauce
- 200g wholegrain rice
- Peel the carrots, and remove the top and bottom. Cut into 7cm lengths then split into quarters lengthways. Dice the onion and chop the spring onions.
- Whip together the egg white, cornflour and cider vinegar until combined thoroughly and the egg white has become watery in consistency, add the carrots, and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Boil the rice, strain and keep warm ready for serving.
- Heat the oil in a wide shallow frying pan until very hot, strain the carrots from the marinade, then carefully add the carrot pieces individually to the pan. Fry briskly until the batter has crisped on all sides – this will be very quick, don’t overcook the carrots! Remove from the pan and sit on kitchen paper to soak excess oil (you may need to cook them in a few batches)
- Drain the oil from the pan and reserve it for next time, add the diced onion, garlic, ginger and chilli (if using) and quickly stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the sweet chilli and hoisin sauces and cook briskly until a thick and sticky glaze is achieved. Add the spring onion and the carrots and toss until all well coated.
- Serve rice in a bowl topped with crispy sticky carrots.
- Start all over again when everyone wants more!!!