The Manchester Airport Transformation Programme (MAN-TP) is a series of 60 enhancements that will provide the millions of passengers that use the airport every year with facilities that combine a contemporary look and feel with state of the art services.
Manchester Airport is the UK’s third largest airport and the preferred choice for millions of people looking to fly. With two runways, the airport has significant capacity for growth and already serves over 70 airlines and in excess of 210 short and long haul destinations. Manchester Airport is the only UK airport outside of London with direct routes to a host of global destinations including Beijing, Los Angeles, Miami, Hong Kong, Jeddah, Singapore, Atlanta, Washington and Boston.
Brad Miller, Manchester Airport Transformation Programme Director said:
“Everyone at Manchester Airport is delighted that a significant piece of our £1bn transformation programme has been given planning consent. This means work can truly begin on the project, which over the next decade will see the airport continue to develop as a global gateway for the UK, directly to and from the North.
“The enhancements the project will make will enable us to further adapt, modernise and transform the customer service experience we are able to offer passengers and airlines. It will also allow Manchester Airport to continue in its role as job creator and economic provider for Greater Manchester and the wider region.”
The key elements of the Transformation Programme include:
· The expansion and reconfiguring of Terminal 2, to become the airport’s primary terminal building
· Improvement of Terminal 3 to cater for increased demand and an expanding flight schedule
· The introduction of new and enlarged airside transfer facilities, including the direct linkage between Terminals 2 and 3
· US pre-clearance facility, allowing passengers to clear immigration, customs, and agricultural inspection by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before boarding their flight
· Introduction of the latest technology in a new, enlarged security hall that will screen more passengers, quicker
·The introduction of a host of new customer friendly enhancements, including self-service check-in facilities and around 50 food and beverage and retail outlets
· Creation of a ‘future-proofed’ operational airport environment that provides greater flexibility and resilience to cater to evolving airline and security needs
· The introduction of new stands and piers, offering better departure gate facilities
· Improved surface access road system making it easier for customers to come to and from our airport
MAN-TP will adopt a phased approach to implement the improvements, to ensure minimal disruption to airport operations, passengers and airlines. The improvements will be delivered inside the existing footprint of the airport and are consistent with the established guidance provided by the Manchester Airport Master Plan; that growth will be phased, incremental and making best use of the existing terminal campus area.
More information, about the programme, including downloadable images, can be found online at: www.MANTP.co.uk